All people have the right to participate fully in all aspects of civil, political, social, economic and cultural life, regardless of their differing abilities. The Greens value diversity in abilities among individuals and the diversity of contributions that people with disabilities make to our society, and believe our society is greatly diminished without the contributions, insights and benefit of people with disabilities.
The Greens NSW will:
Support a well-funded and resourced operational service sector to meet the needs of people with disabilities, including the full establishment and implementation of the National Disability Insurance Scheme that provides fully-funded lifetime care and support.
- Support increased funding to ensure that all people with disabilities have access to a range of high quality, age-appropriate, community care and accommodation options to support a person-centred approach to meeting people with disabilities’ accommodation needs.
- Urgently expand respite care services and facilities, in-home and emergency support and crisis accommodation.
- Ensure that the special needs of people with disabilities from differing cultural and linguistic backgrounds are met.
- Ensure equitable and integrated community access, including the provision and maintenance of ramps, rails, toilets, information and communications systems and appropriate public and private transport options.
- Strengthen disability advocacy services and ensure people with disabilities are provided with adequate funding for independent advocacy services and access to free legal advice.